Sunday, July 24, 2011

Family

My dad passed on earlier this year.  He had been ill with Dementia for at least 2 years we were aware of.  The symptoms are horrible for all concerned, not only the patient.  My cousin is calling me now to get advice as his dad, (my dad's brother) as his dad is beginning the same process.  His condition is about a year behind my dad's.  I hate the idea of him having to go through this.  He's an only child, so although he has a very strong family of his own, he doesn't have family to take some of the load for him.  I've told him to call me anytime, since I'm too far away to help physically, I can be a sounding board to help him de-stress.  Family being there for family is important, it's what gets us through. 

I was there with my pop through the last 3 weeks of his life, 24/7 for the last 2 1/2 weeks.  Wouldn't change it for anything and am happy I was with him.  Was hard at the time, but....it was worth it.  Although I miss him now, I know he's not sick anymore and he feels good, gotta be happy for him in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.