Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Learning

Recently, I been fixed on the fact that at this late stage in life I still haven't even touched on all the learning I want to do.  Funny thing is, I'm not terribly picky about what I want to learn, or maybe it's just that I want to learn so many things.  There's history, botany, building as in building a building, building as in putting things together like a a solar generator, the chemistry behind cooking, self improvement techniques, etc.  I wish there was a way to go back to my 20s and know, back then, what I've learned is important now.

There's so much I could have gotten out of knowing these things for so many more years if I would have started 20-30 years ago.  It's not that these things won't do me any good now.  I read as much as I can these days and all that does it show me more things I need/want to read/learn.  We need a "Do over" button.  I hate the fact that we have to learn, that we need to learn, so late in life:) 



So many things I could get done if I could do them myself instead of having to pay to have them done.  Then there's the satisfaction of doing those things yourself.  Taking pride in making things and building things is incredible.  My dad taught me a lot.  Most of which was generally because I was in trouble and had to help him around the farm.  As I look back at the amount of things he knew, it was incredible.  He tried really hard to teach me a lot and actually he did.  But I fought against it every step of the way.  He would be proud of me now.  And I'm sure he's smiling thinking, "Better late than never."  Love you Pop...

Now all I have to do is try to convince my granddaughter not to wait and learn as much as she can early on.   Maybe she'll be smarter than I was and figure it out early.  I'll hold that thought.  Anybody else ever have strange thoughts like this?  Ever feel like you are starting too late in life.  Feel like you wish you knew what you wanted to do when you grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.