Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mashed Rutabagas and Potatoes

Has anybody eaten Rutabagas?  Do they taste like potatoes?  Here's why I ask.....looks good.


Mashed Rutabagas and Potatoes

3 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 to 2 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
2⁄3 cup milk
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste
Salt to taste
2 teaspoons chopped parsley, optional
In separate saucepans, cook rutabagas and potatoes in salted water. When both are tender, remove from heat. Rutabagas will take about 30 minutes, and potatoes will take 20 to 25 minutes.
Drain; puree or mash rutabagas well, then mash potatoes. Stir mashed vegetables together.
Add butter, milk, pepper and nutmeg. Beat well. Taste and add salt if necessary. Garnish with chopped parsley. Yields 6 to 8 servings.
From Grit Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.