Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Shampoo or not to shampoo

Back in March I was reading an article in Mother Earth Living about what shampoo & conditioner do to your hair/scalp.  The article talked about how shampoos & conditioners strip the natural ability of your body/head to produce the correct amounts of oil.  These products strip out the natural oils so the body creates more.  So, when you go a few days without washing your hair, your hair is extremely oily.  So I made a decision to stop using shampoo & conditioner.

Yeah, right, I got that from a lot of people.:)

I started using baking soda instead.  For a conditioner I would use water with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of essential oils (whatever smelled good to me that morning).  For the first few weeks I had to use the
soda every other day.  From there, I went to about twice a week.  Now it's 6 months later, and I use my soda every Monday.  I do wash my hair every morning with just water and my fingernails.  I don't always use the vinegar mixture, but I probably should more often.  It does make my hair softer.  Now, when I started this my biggest worry was combing my hair out.  I had used Pantene for YEARS.  I have long hair down to my waist.  After using Pantene all you ever have to do is run a comb through your hair.  What I found was that if I brush my hair before I get in the shower, I really don't have too much of a problem combing it out.  Of course, it's not like it used to be with the Pantene conditioner, but it really isn't too bad at all.

Since I started this, I've read a number of articles that talk about the same thing.  They even speak to adding Tea Tree Oil as your essential oil in the vinegar rinse if you have dandruff problems.  There are a number of different things that different essential oils can do, so you just have to read up on your oils to see which suits you best.  I move around between a citrus, lavendar and bergamot.

I can't tell you how much money I've saved not buying shampoo/conditioner.  Let me tell you, baking soda and apple cider vinegar is a whole lot cheaper and in my humble opinion works even better.  Not to mention the time it saves (especially with long hair).

If anyone gets the nerve to try this one, I hope you'll let me know what you think.  Just remember those first few weeks are a bit difficult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.