Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Slow Cooker Potato Soup

UPDATE:  I made this today (9/24/13).  I didn't peal the potatoes (my husband and I usually eat potato skins), I mashed the potatoes at the end, didn't add the bacon, but did get croutons with bacon.  I also used the onions I tried previously instead of using fresh onions.  That gave the onions a carmelly kind of taste.  Was VERY good.  I WILL do this one again.  Put it together in the morning and it really didn't take too long.  Well worth a try.  Let me know what you all think!!



I found this in the online version of Grit Magazine.  I just might have to try this sooner rather than later:)  I LOVE potato soup.

6 potatoes, pared and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 onions, chopped
1 carrot, pared and sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
5 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
4 cups water
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
3 to 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled, optional
1 can (13 ounces) evaporated milk
Chopped chives
In slow cooker, place potatoes, onions, carrot, celery, bouillon cubes, parsley, water, salt, pepper, butter and bacon. Cover and cook on Low for 12 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
Stir in evaporated milk during the last hour. If desired, mash potatoes with a masher before serving. Serve topped with chopped chives.

Enjoy.  Let me know how you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.