Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Grain from Scratch

I've always wanted to try making my own flour and oats.  My husband didn't think it would be worth it to try and plant and then harvest to get enough to use, but I wanted to try it any way.  Here is a page where someone did just that.  I think I'll try it anyway just for my own curiosity.  Especially if we are going to have animals, which I fully intend to do, I'd love to be able to feed them with home grown, ORGANIC, grains.  There is so much "stuff" being put on our foods these days, that frankly, I just don't trust it anymore.  I don't really believe they are putting stuff on our foods to actually hurt us, I just think they are doing it for profits and the unintended consequences haven't been realized yet.  I do believe these chemicals don't belong on our foods, at least not in the quantities they use and probably the quality too, as it's probably getting more potent all the time.  Just like the antibiotics I've seen in the news recently, if you use enough of them, what you are fighting against grows an immunity to it and you have to use stronger and stronger stuff each year.

If anyone else has had an occasion to use this method, let me know.  I'd love to hear how it turned out and what you may have done differently from the lady in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.