Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Virtues of Vinegar

When I was a kid I remember my mom using vinegar primarily to pickle stuff.....lots of different stuff.  Other than that, I don't remember seeing vinegar around much except the apple cider vinegar we used for the warm water, vinegar & honey mixture (found elsewhere in this blog).  But that was only if we didn't feel good.  And actually that tasted like warm apple cider and was pretty good.  But recently, actually after my grand-daughter was born, after we got the 2 little girls (puppies), and we ripped out the carpet in the living room and laid laminate floors, I decided I didn't want the chemicals in the house and started doing some research in alternative cleaning methods.  That's when I discovered Vinegar.



I use vinegar to clean my laminate floors, I use it to clean the toilets (along with baking soda), I use it to clean the sinks and tubs, I spray it on the carpets we have left in the house to help kills germs and eliminate odors (I add citric essential oils to the mix) and I also use it to spot clean the carpets (again with baking soda).  I've found it to be highly versatile.  I read in one article, I believe in Mother Earth Living, about using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.  Not mixed together, but spray one on and wait 10 minutes, then spray the other one on.  Between the 2 they say it kills about everything and there's nothing left to hurt anyone.  I actually clean the bathroom sink a few times a week and then spray on hydrogen peroxide and just leave it.  Somehow it doesn't leave spots and it'll kill anything left on it.  There are tons of articles out there on the uses of vinegar.  I started with Grit, Mother Earth News, Mother Earth Living and Off-The-Grid News.  Take a look and see what you can find.  Hope you found this useful.  Let me know if you have any other uses.  I'm always up for something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.