Friday, October 4, 2013

Thunder and Lightning

I just watched probably the last thunderstorm of the season roll through.  A cold front behind it so it's relatively short.  As I sit here looking out the window I'm watching the lightning and listening to the thunder.  That's the best part of a storm.  It'll be gone before I go to bed, but I really enjoy laying in bed listening to the thunder.  It's so relaxing.  Problem is I will lay there for hours and listen and not go to sleep.  At least today it's a Friday and I don't have to leave the house until about 7:45 and I don't have to fix a lunch and all that work prep stuff.

I remember when I was a little girl and we heard that rolling thunder, my dad used to tell me that was the taters.  I'd ask him what taters and he told me God had dumped the tater wagon and that rolling sound was
the taters rolling down the hill.  I remember trying to picture it.  Those kind of things I will tell my grand-daughter.  My beliefs are a little different than my dad's so the story will change a bit, but the jist of it will be the same.

I saw a poster a few days ago about grandparents and how great they were.  I never had grandparents, both of my parents were orphans.  But I can tell you my parents were the best grandparents I've ever known.  Mom and dad lived in the country and the grandkids loved being there.  Dad had a garden and chickens.  He taught those kids all kinds of things and anything they asked for he'd make or help them make.  He didn't buy them a lot, but if they wanted to try and make something, he would give everything he had to do it.  My mom was the same.  She never let them get away with anything my brother and I told her they couldn't do, but she had the patience of a saint.  I only hope I'm as good with my grand-daughter.

I hope to teach her about the tater wagon (my version) and teach her the beauty of the lightning and to appreciate what it all is and what it does for us.  To the grandkids out there, enjoy your grandparents because they are special and some of us didn't have that honor.  To the grandparents, I hope you are having as much fun as I am and enjoying those kids like I do mine.

I get to have my grand-daughter tomorrow and I can't wait (every Saturday:-)  Enjoy the thunder and lightning when you see it next.  Have a great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.