Monday, December 23, 2013

Holiday Time

So, what do you think of the holidays?  Do you get excited, get stressed, are you ready for it to be over (almost as it begins), happy to see family, or does it just wear you out?  I think, for me, it's all of the above.

I enjoy my family, and I enjoy family get-togethers and, of course, all the food you only get this time of year.  But I'm very much a homebody, and enjoy my regular daily routine.  I like quiet and normalcy and I like being alone or home with my husband.  I realize those things contradict each other, but I can't help it.  I like a little of the first and a lot of the latter.  


My daughter-in-law LOVES buying presents, I'm more of a "just glad to see you" kind of person.  I've tried to convince her I really don't need (or want) more stuff.  I believe the gifts belong to the young kids, they get the most out of opening the presents.  If I see something that screams "I belong to ______" I will go ahead and buy it and give it to them then.  I don't see the need for a holiday.  I know I really don't want just "stuff", so buying for other folks is always difficult for me as I have a hard time trying to figure out what someone will really want.  Most of the people I know will just buy something if they want it, and if they can't, then it's probably something I can't afford anyway. 

I try really hard to enjoy the holiday season and for the most part I succeed, but I really am just not up to all the hoopla that comes with it.  I do wish it was a bit more low-key, say like the 4th of July, lol.

In any case, I hope every one has an enjoyable holiday season.  Regardless of which holiday you celebrate, make the most of it, celebrate how you like most and enjoy the ones you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.