Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!!!!

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable New Years Eve.  My husband and I stayed home, made some good snacks, watched some TV and talked a lot.  It was a wonderful time.

I'd like this year to be a year full of firsts for me.  I started early.


Yesterday, I made my first batch of butter, using pure cream instead of milk.  Most of the recipes I found used milk, but I wanted to try the cream.  I was so happy with it.  Once it was done, I divided it up into 3 different batches, one with Italian seasoning & garlic salt, another just lightly salted and another one with a little more salt.  We used the one with Italian seasoning on crusty bread as one of our snacks last night.   It was very easy to make and it taste so much better than store bought.  Probably won't buy butter anymore now.  How cool is that.  The husband was surprised at how easy and good it was too.  He stood in the kitchen and talked to me as I made it.  It's always a plus when he likes the homemade stuff better than the store bought.


Today I'm making my first batch of yogurt.  I'm cheating and using a yogurt maker but after a few batches maybe later I'll move to a more old fashioned way of doing it.  I can't wait to see how it turns out, but I'm hopeful.  I eat a lot of yogurt and it would really be so much cheaper if I could make it.  I can buy milk nearby for a really good price and make my butter and my yogurt.

I hope to try my first of a lot of things throughout this year.  Hopefully each one will be as successful as the butter.  My idea would be to share those successes and my failures here hoping someone gets something from both.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! good to hear that you & yours husband enjoy a great time together at your home.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.