Friday, January 3, 2014

My New Year's Yogurt

Well I finished the yogurt on New Year's Day, and it was GREAT!!!  I was so happy.  The finished product out of the machine was good tasting, but was the regular style and I'm partial to the Greek style, thick and creamy.  So I put it in the bag that came with the machine and hung it from a cabinet handle over a bowl to let it drain.  The instructions said to let it drain 6-8 hours for Greek yogurt or yogurt cheese.  I've not heard of yogurt cheese, so wasn't looking to go there, but I didn't have 6-8 hours, so I let it hang for 3.

It was perfect.  I can't imagine how stiff it would have been if I would have let it drain for 6-8 hours.  I guess that would be more like
the cheese they were talking about.  That may be something to try in the future though.  It could be pretty good, more like a cream cheese.  MMmmmm.  I haven't taken the time to take a picture yet, as I had to go back to work yesterday.  But when I do I'll update the post.

What I paid for the milk that went into this was just a few cents less than what I pay for a container of yogurt at the store.  What it made in yogurt was almost twice the amount of the container I usually buy.  The savings of homemade is incredible and allows me to buy more of some of the other organic foods I've not been able to afford before. 

I'm learning to not fear trying new things.  I've always had a fear to failing at making something work correctly.  I guess if it doesn't work the first time, there's always a next time.  That's just something I need to get over, but I think I'm finally overcoming it.

 Now, what's next?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! glad to hear that you making it by yourself. I wanna taste it, how? :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.