Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Greatful for the canned meat I put up

I don't know about you but I seem to be getting exteremly lazy this last month of the year.  Maybe it's because it's dark so much.

 I've not been on the treadmill for a month now and don't see it happening till next year.  It's so wrong for kind of mindset I know, but I do know I'll get back on it, just not now.

Coming home from work in the dark makes me feel like I want to go straight to bed, so fixing supper is definitely not first on my mind.  I'm greatful that I put up  so much ground deer last year and late
2014.  Now I can grab a few quarts of that, some canned stewed tomatoes I put up too, and depending on the spices I want to use I can have supper in about an hour and there's no thaw time.

Canning meat seemed pretty scary at first, but turned out to not be any harder than anything else.   You just leave it in the cooker for 90 minutes.

I did cook mine a little first and then rinsed it to get as much fat out as possible.  My husband used to have our deer processed at a commercial meat locker and had 10% tallow fat added.  We don't do that anymore, I don't see the need.

Next time, I don't think I'll cook it, I'll just crumble it.  I didn't cut any chunks from roasts last time either.  So that will be something I try next.  That should give a different type cut for more flexibility in meal types.

I haven't tried other meats either, just because I haven't the same quantity to make it worth my while.  When we get some chickens and rabbits though, I will certainly try it.   I just don't have the freezer space to do it any other way.

If you've ever canned meat let me know what kinds and how it worked out.  I Would love to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I'm a country girl working in the city (50 miles/day). I want to learn all I can about how to do for myself. My husband and I dream of a self-reliant homestead where we can live and work together, raising chickens, goats and rabbits, and growing and canning our own food.